Well maybe it’s kinda over done to pose a question as a blog title… oh well, I don’t really care 😉
To answer that question in a word: YES
And now I will expand on that short answer, because.. well my post would be pretty short and pointless if I left it at that, and it wouldn’t help much either 😉 (OK sorry for my weird goofy writing style tonight, I’m in one of those moods)
Anyways, here we go…
I believe that God desires to speak to us all the time- like literally every second, if we will listen. Well, I correct myself- He IS always speaking to us, but it’s a matter of whether we are listening or not. So many times in the past I’ve heard from my peers that “God isn’t saying anything to them” or “I can’t hear His voice” but I think that we just don’t understand how to listen to His ever present voice in our lives. It’s not a lack of Him, but a lack of us understanding/listening.
So how do we better understand? I’m in no way an “expert” in this, I haven’t gone to school for anything to do with this. But I do know things from my experiences, and from the testimony of the experiences of other people, too. So I’ll share what I know- feel free to comment on what you have experienced differently!
I know that everyone is different- duh. And so different people will experience God’s voice in different ways, which makes sense. I know people who experience God best while listening to music, driving their car, reading God’s Word, being in a completely quiet space, reading books… the list goes on and on. But if you’re still wondering how to do this, just knowing some ways to focus on God still might not help you.
Here’s how I have found I best hear from my Daddy God
1. Pray for clarity, and the ability to discern the enemy’s lies. Pray that God will speak to you and pray for a blocking of evil thoughts. God will answer this prayer for you in amazing ways.
2. Start with something- if I just try to sit and listen without any context, I find it very easy to become distracted. My mind just starts to wander and I’ve gotten nowhere. So I have something to kinda “start” my time. This can be anything from a song or album that I listen to, a Bible verse or passage that I meditate on, a sermon podcast, or a devotional book or blog.
3. As I listen or read, I have a journal beside me. I write down things that I find particularly stand out to me and any questions or thoughts that come up
4. After I am done reading/listening and I run out of things to write, I stop. This is when I will make my mind blank and focus on God- and this is when I hear Him speak. I write down the things that come to my mind, without “editing” as I go. I just write. It’s cool because sometimes all I hear is a word or two, or a short phrase, and sometimes I end up with what is more like a letter from God to me. Other times my page is full of song lyrics or scripture. God speaks to me in many ways, and I love that about him.
5. When God’s done speaking, I stop writing and take some time to just read it over again. I read the words that God has for me, and sometimes it is so overwhelming.
Through these times, I learn so much about God and his heart for me. He always has a word to encourage or correct me, and I have been very blessed by these times spent with Him. It’s sometimes so hard to make the time to do it, but I have never come away from it feeling regret for the time I spent with God. So I guess this is an encouragement to seek God out. Make an effort to hear what He is speaking to you- and find what works for you. It may take some time until you get it, but when you do, I promise you it will be worthwhile
I hope this has helped or encouraged you in some way as you read this, and I hope you spend some time with your Abba Father soon. He misses you 🙂
Be blessed! xo